«Coronation of the Virgin”(C. 1492) - the only known joint work of the masters of the Florentine Renaissance Sandro Botticelli (14445-1510) and Domenico Ghirlandaio (1449-1494) and, possibly, the last major work in the career of Ghirlandaio. It is known that these artists have repeatedly collaborated throughout their career, including in the design of the Sistine Chapel, but the Coronation is the only surviving example of their joint participation in the development and performance of a single composition.
The painting is one of two altars originally commissioned for Badia Kamaldolese in San Giusto et San Clemente in Volterra, Italy. Work remained in the church until the end of the 19th century, before earthquakes in the area caused significant structural damage to the building. The “coronation” was removed from the church and sold at auction in Florence in 1883, where it went into collections in Latvia (now Belarus), Switzerland, possibly in Munich, and was eventually acquired by John and Johanna Bass for their personal collection. .