Sign up

Small stack. Red May.

Sculpture, 1920-th , 6.5×4 cm

Description of the artwork «Small stack. Red May.»

The glass factory "RED MAY" is located on the banks of the Shlina River. One of the largest in the country, it was founded in 1859 as a chemical Moscow titular adviser Samarin.
HISTORY OF THE RED MAY GLASS FACTORY


The glass factory "RED MAY" is located on the banks of the Shlina River. One of the largest in the country, it was founded in 1859 as a chemical Moscow titular adviser Samarin. Such products as vitriol, vitriol oil, lampadonna oil, ammonia, strong vodka and other various acids were produced. But Samarin did not have enough funds for the further development of production and the plant was bought by the Vyshnevolotsk merchant of the second guild Andrei Vasilyevich Bolotin. In 1873, the owners of the plant - the merchants of Bolotin - built the first furnace, which produced glassware: a dining room, a pastry shop, and ceiling lights. In the same year, an experienced glassmaker, the owner of the secret of compiling a charge for melting colored glasses, Vasily Alekseevich Vekshin, came to the plant. And for the first time in Russia at the Bolotinsky factory they began to make colored glass with a variety of colors. Already in 1882 and 1886, the new production of the plant, “absolutely remarkable in its variety and unexpected grace” (as its famous professor “glass expert” A.K. Krupsky rated it), was awarded two gold and two silver medals All-Russian art and industrial exhibitions in Moscow and Nizhny Novgorod for the rich color scheme and for the thoroughness of processing. In 1920, the plant was nationalized and it became the property of the state. On May 1, 1923, a meeting of workers and employees of the plant took place, at which a decision was made to rename the plant to the KRASNY MAY plant. Since that time, the plant began to expand, they began to build new glass melting furnaces.

During World War II (1942-1945), the plant produced large quantities of technical glass for the needs of the Navy and aviation, semaphore and traffic light lenses, lamp glass, and battery vessels were manufactured. In the 40s, a very important period in the history of the plant, when the first government order for the manufacture of ruby glass for Kremlin stars was honorably executed. In 1946, the task was completed successfully. In the same year, the plant was awarded the Red Banner of the All-Union Central Council of Trade Unions and the People’s Commissariat of Light Industry for eternal storage. Over the years of the war, the factory team 23 times took first place in the All-Union Socialist Competition among light industry enterprises with the presentation of the red banner. Seven times the plant was awarded II place.

In 50-60 years, the plant became widespread cutting glass with gold, enamel, chandelier, silicate paints. Two-three-layer glass products were also produced. But the people of Krasnoyarsk were especially famous for sulfide glass, which is not in vain called the “Russian miracle” for its inexhaustible richness of color. And it is also called so for its exceptional property to change color depending on the temperature and processing time, which gives the mass product a unique originality. This material was mastered by the plant in 1959, “RED MAY” was, in fact, the only enterprise not only in our country, but throughout the world, where sulfide glass was fixed as an indispensable glass of the factory assortment.

Masters of "Red May" keep and continue the centuries-old tradition of working with colored glass, fluent in the whole range of material processing techniques. The manufacture of stained glass has attracted the attention of many well-known glass artists who perform their works conceived in color at Krasny May.

St. Petersburg artists worked at the factory: Honored Artist of the RSFSR B.A. Smirnov and D.N. Deyemyashkevich, Muscovites L.A. Fomina, T.P. Sazhin, L.I. Savelyeva, V.A. Filatov, Honored Artists of the RSFSR G.A. Antonova, A.Ya. Stepanova, S.G. Ryazanova, Estonian E.O. Yogi and artists from other republics.

The enterprise produced vases, souvenirs, dishes, decorative works, lamps, architectural and construction glass. The basis of the factory assortment is made up of new samples created in the art laboratory of the plant, where artists worked, whose names are known in art glass: Honored Artists of the RSFSR A.M. Silko, S.M. Beskinskaya, V.Ya. Shevchenko, L.A. Kuchinskaya, artists S.A. Konoplev, V.G. Khrolov, A.I. Novikov, K.N. Litvin, E.Yu. Yesikova.

New products of artists and mass production of the plant were demonstrated at all-Union, international exhibitions and fairs.

Thus, the history of the company has more than 140 years.



DEVELOPMENT PROSPECTS



Glass factory "RED MAY", one of the oldest factories in the industry, was established in 1859. The plant is a city-forming enterprise for a village with a population of 7,000 inhabitants, most of whom worked at the plant. The company is known for making ruby stars for the Moscow Kremlin. The plant produced a wide range of products. It has an area of 24 hectares, a railway line, a gas pipeline, other necessary communications and infrastructure elements.

Over the past ten years, the plant has gone through complex processes and in 2001 survived the financial crisis. In 2002, the old enterprise was restructured and assets prepared for investment projects. A new legal entity, OOO KRASNY MAY Glass Factory LLC, was established, which has the necessary production facilities and land plots on the basis of ownership.

Currently, the following projects are under consideration for implementation:

1. Organization of the production of glass containers. Several options are considered:

o Organization of the production of glass containers with a capacity of 250 million standard containers per year with the construction of a new compound workshop. The volume of investments is 25 million Euros.

o Organization of the production of glass and exclusive containers and electro-technical glass by a press-blown method on the basis of 3 6-section glass-forming machines from Bottero (Italy). The volume of investments is 11 million Euros.

o A number of options varying in capacity, investment and equipment placement.

2. Increase the production of glass containers to 500 million pieces of standard containers per year with the construction of a new container shop. The volume of investments is 20 million Euros.

3. Production of architectural and construction glass (patterned, colored, reinforced) with a capacity of up to 200 thousand square meters per month. The volume of investments is 12.5 million Euros.

4. Production of electrical glass (plafonds, latches). The volume of investments is 1 million Euro.

5. Production of varietal tableware, souvenir and art products from simple and colored glass, crystal.

The choice of projects is mainly due to the historical orientation of the plant to produce this range of products. The validity of the container business is confirmed by individual marketing research.

The success of the projects is due to the favorable economic and geographical position of the KRASNY MAY glass factory between the two main markets of the country - Moscow and St. Petersburg (the factory is located almost on the federal highway), the availability of production facilities, fixed assets, infrastructure and communications, as well as necessary production personnel.

The projects are fully provided with raw materials for production, and the main types of raw materials - quartz sand and dolomite - are available in large quantities at deposits in Central Russia, and the plant receives sand directly from the Tver region. The explored reserves of natural raw materials for glass production will be enough for another 100-200 years of industry operation. Employees of the glass factory "RED MAY" already have the necessary connections and experience with suppliers of raw materials for glass production.

By June 2002, technical work was carried out to select equipment suppliers, potential designers and contractors for all types of work.

The depth of project development is at a different level. So, for the first three projects, business plans are fully prepared, for the rest, integrated economic calculations are carried out. For container and architectural glass production projects, pre-project proposals and feasibility studies were received from the GIPROSTEKLO Industrial Design Institute (St. Petersburg) and the Steklogaz Scientific and Production Center. Negotiations were also held and potential suppliers and contractors were selected.
$300.00
I like0 To the selection0
Discuss
About the artwork

This artwork has been added by Arthive user, if it violates copyright please tell us.

Art form: Sculpture

Subject and objects: Veduta, Interior, Historical scene

Style of art: Realism, Symbolism

Technique: Glass production

Materials:

Date of creation: 1920-th

Size: 6.5×4 cm

Location: mr. totchelovek

Payment

VISA, MasterCard