He graduated from the classical gymnasium in Riga and three courses of mathematical faculty of Moscow University.
[22.1 (3.2).1872, eagle — 12.6.1936, Moscow], Soviet architect. He studied at St. Petersburg Academy of arts (1894−97 and 1905−09) L. N. Benoit and at the same time was engaged in etching of V. V. Matai. After exclusion of OH in 1897 for participating in student riots worked until 1905 in Moscow, assistant of the architect L. N. Kekushev, then F. O. Schechtel. In the early period of creativity was influenced by art Nouveau.
Since the early 1900s Fomin studied the heritage of domestic architecture, having an active promoter architecture of Rus. classicism; participated in the publication "History of Russian art", organized "Historical exhibition of architecture" in 1911 in St. Petersburg. Fomin — the founder of the neoclassical style in light brown. architecture.
In the 1910s developed the urban projects [the buildings of the square on OA starve (1912) and the Tuchkov Buyan complex (1913) in St. Petersburg, the resort of Balaclava in the Crimea (1916) — all three have not been implemented] and through the use of compositional techniques and decorative means of classicism created the architectural image of the modern building’s interior and [former house of A. A. Polovtsev (1911−1913) and S. S. Abamelek-Lazarev (1912−1914)]. Owls. time completed the layout and planting of the field of Mars in Petrograd (1920−23).
In 1919 he headed the architectural workshop of the Council for settlement of plan of Petrograd and its suburbs with the Council of Municipal economy of Petrograd. In the 1920s, continued sequential search of a synthesis of the classic principles of modern architecture. Speaking with the theory of the classics updates (creating, in the words of the architect, "proletarian classics"), Fomin proposed to borrow from the classic architecture only its General principles order (see Order architectural) of an organization, discarding detail. Based on this theory, Fomin developed their own interpretation of the tectonic structure of the buildings on the basis of strict, simplified order [Institute of chemistry and technology in Ivanovo (1929), the former home of the society "Dynamo" (1928−30), new building of city Council (1929−30) and the subway station "Red gate" (now "Lermontov", 1935) in Moscow].
In the 1930s in the work of Fomin has been a transition to a more direct use of classical decorative "enriched" forms [the building of the Council of Ministers of the Ukrainian SSR in Kiev (with participation of the architect P. V. Abrosimov), 1934−1938]. He taught at the Academy of arts in Leningrad (disciples of A. I. Gegello, E. A. Levinson, and V. O. Munts), since 1933 head of the school-Studio at the Moscow city Council (among students of P. V. Abrosimov, L. M. Polyakov, M. A. Minkus, etc.). Was also engaged in etching (in series — "Project of the Kurhaus on the Mineral waters", 1909, "Rome", 1910).